Sumner’s Comprehensive Plan lays out the community’s vision for how we will live, work, get around, and grow over the next 20 years. The Plan contains goals, policies and maps that identify environmental, social, and economic priorities for the future. The various chapters address land use, housing, transportation, and capital facilities. State law only allows the comprehensive plan to be amended once a year with major updates coming every 10 years. This year the City is opening the Plan for community discussion and potential revisions. These revisions may also include changes to the the city’s zoning. Zoning within the City controls where commercial, housing, and industry can be located. A major aspect of this year’s amendments is to update the East Sumner Neighborhood Plan, generally the area within a few blocks of the YMCA.
CITY COUNCIL STUDY SESSION
March 22, 2021 at 6:00 pm
The City Council is scheduled to discuss the 2020 proposals at the upcoming Study Session. City Hall remains closed during Governor Inslee’s “Healthy Washington – Roadmap to Recovery” order, a consequence of the Covid-19 pandemic. The public is invited to attend the meeting virtually by using the ZOOM Meeting:
Or by telephone, dial 1-253-215-8782
Webinar ID: 898 9496 0766
No public testimony will be taken on the agenda items. The public is asked to mute their devices.
January-February 2021 update
- The Planning Commission completed its review of the 2020 proposals, and voted to recommend approval to the City Council
- A Public Hearing with the City Council was held on February 16, 2021. Further discussion will occur during March, with a decision tentatively in April 2021.
- More information regarding materials reviewed at the meeting is posted in the Documents Library in the right-hand column.
- The Planning Commission further discussed the proposed updates at a Study Session on December 17, 2020.
- A Public Hearing with the Planning Commission was held on December 3, 2020. More information regarding materials reviewed at the hearing is posted in the Documents Library in the right-hand column.
- The SEIS (Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement) was issued November 10, 2020. Comments are due December 10, 2020. Documents are posted under documents library in the right column.
- The SEIS contains information regarding proposed map changes and changes to policies and regulations. Proposed map changes are shown in the draft Zoning Map below.
Below is the map of the proposed sites for map changes. To view a larger map, click here Proposed Zoning Changes Map (1.38 MB) (pdf)
SumnerConnectsZoningPlanMap.pdf (1.4 MB)
The City wants to hear from the community and this page on Sumner Connects will contain all the important dates for meetings, public comment opportunities and relevant documents. You can also stay informed and engaged through:
- The City’s quarterly newsletter
- Signing up for the City’s weekly e-newsletter here(External link)
- Following the City of Sumner’s Twitter Account(External link)
- Clicking here to view all public hearing notices on the City website(External link)
Reminder: All comment periods will have opening and closing dates, so you’ll want to check for updates right here on Sumner Connects.
- Presentation to Council-March 22, 2021.pdf (6.25 MB) (pdf)
- Staff Memo to Council-March 10, 2021.pdf (1.29 MB) (pdf)
- Sumner Comprehensive Plan Responses to Comments-030221.pdf (115 KB) (pdf)
- Comprehensive Plan 2020 Overview-February 8, 2021 (3.64 MB) (pdf)
- Council packet -February 8 2021.pdf (6.91 MB) (pdf)
- Planning Commission packet January 7, 2021 (3.45 MB) (pdf)
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement - Request for Comments on Scope (91.6 KB) (pdf)
- Planning Commission packet December 17, 2020 (494 KB) (pdf)
- Notice of Public Hearing December 3, 2020 (123 KB) (pdf)
- Planning Commission Agenda Packet Part 1- December 3, 2020 (2.86 MB) (pdf)
- Planning Commission Agenda Packet Part 2- December 3, 2020 (4.34 MB) (pdf)
- Background-Planning Commission Agenda Packet- 05-07-20 (569 KB) (pdf)
- Planning Commission Agenda Packet Part 3- December 3, 2020 (9.86 MB) (pdf)
- Hearing Notices for Individual Rezone Proposals (624 KB) (pdf)
- Proposed Zoning Changes Map (1.38 MB) (pdf)
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) 2020 (28.2 MB) (pdf)
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement - Notice of Availability for Review (169 KB) (pdf)
- Background- Final Volume I: Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, February 2015 (18.6 MB) (pdf)
- Background - Existing Comprehensive Plan 2017 (11.1 MB) (pdf)
- Background- Draft Volume I: Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, February 2015 (41 MB) (pdf)
- Background- Draft Volume 2: Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, February 2015 (28.7 MB) (pdf)
- Background- Final Volume 2: Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, February 2015 (13.6 MB) (pdf)
- Background- Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement for Town Center Plan from 2018 (25.3 MB) (pdf)
City of Sumner